JB Hi-Fi - Privacy Statement
JB Hi-Fi Limited and its subsidiaries (“JB Hi-Fi”) recognise that your personal information is important to you and that you are concerned with its collection, use and disclosure. JB Hi-Fi, like other companies operating in Australia, is bound by the National Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which set clear standards regarding these activities.
JB Hi-Fi's policy on the collection, use and disclosure of customer personal information is set out below.
Why does JB Hi-Fi collect Personal Information?
The personal information you provide to JB Hi-Fi may be collected, used and disclosed for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include:
· providing you with products and/or services requested;
· dealing with requests, enquiries, complaints, consumer guarantee or warranty claims, and other customer care related activities;
· marketing our products and services and providing advice on our products;
· developing and improving our products and services;
· in connection with our loyalty or reward programmes and competitions;
· the operation and administration of accounts or subscriptions that you have with us;
· payment processing;
· carrying out certain checks (for example, for our fraud or theft prevention processes, if you wish to open an account with us, obtain credit from us or pick-up goods in-store that have been ordered online);
· carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement that we have to comply with, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
· interacting with companies or organisations with whom JB Hi-Fi has a business relationship (where you work for such an organisation);
· reconciling payments due to JB Hi-Fi from suppliers in relation to goods or services provided to you by those suppliers; and
· purposes relating to any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in JB Hi-Fi or its assets.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes related to those described above which would be reasonably expected by you.
Generally, you have no obligation to provide any information requested by us. However, if you choose not to do so, we are unlikely to be able to provide you with the goods and services that you want or carry on the other activities set out above.
What Personal Information does JB Hi-Fi collect?
The type of personal information we collect or which we may hold about you may include:
· your name;
· your address;
· your date of birth;
· your telephone number(s);
· your e-mail address;
· payment information;
· transaction information;
· your user name and password;
· details about your earnings (if you are buying products using a finance plan);
· information contained on identification documents (such as driving licences) where we require these to verify your identity;
· information on how you use our products and services;
· your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, server address, domain name and information on your browsing activity when visiting one of our websites;
· your User Name for social networking sites that you use, to refer to, or in conjunction with, our goods and services; and
· personal preferences regarding products and services.
How does JB Hi-Fi collect your personal information?
We collect personal information in a number of ways including:
· when you order goods or services from us (either online, in-store or over the telephone);
· when you set up an account with us;
· when you purchase certain products or extended warranties from us;
· when you buy goods on lay-by or “duty-free” goods;
· when you pay for goods by cheque;
· when you subscribe to our catalogues or mailing lists or those of certain partners of ours such as Stack magazine;
· when you subscribe to JB Hi-Fi “Now” or another JB Hi-Fi subscription service;
· when you sell second-hand goods to us or buy second-hand goods from us;
· when you enter competitions or promotions that we run;
· when you provide us your details for customer care purposes;
· when you browse one of our websites (further information is set out later in this Statement);
· when you complete surveys or provide online feedback or product reviews; and
· when you publicly comment about us on social media sites (for example so that we can answer questions about our products).
JB Hi-Fi also holds information, collected incidentally, concerning individuals who work for companies or organisations that have a business relationship with JB Hi-Fi.
When you create an account with us we will ask you whether you wish to receive information relating to JB Hi-Fi and our products. You may also choose to receive such information by subscribing to our mailing list via one of our websites.
To opt-out of receiving JB Hi-Fi marketing materials, you will need to unsubscribe. To do this, simply select the “unsubscribe” option in one of the emails that you receive from us. Please note that if you have an account with JB Hi-Fi, we may still need to send you essential information about your account.
Sharing your Personal Information
JB Hi-Fi may disclose or receive personal information or documents about you to/from:
· our service providers who assist us in providing our services, including organisations that assist us with customer support, payment processing, administration, archival, data storage, research, mail and delivery, marketing, auditing, consulting, financial and legal advisory, banking, security or technical services. In some cases these service providers may collect your personal information on our behalf;
· law enforcement agencies to assist in the prevention, investigation and prosecution of criminal activities;
· parties involved in any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in JB Hi-Fi or its assets; and
· to other third parties where you have specifically consented to the disclosure of information to these third parties.
Storage of information offshore
JB Hi-Fi may transfer and store your personal information offshore where our service providers are based overseas (including the United States of America and New Zealand), including for the purposes of payment processing and fraud detection.
Personal Information Collected on behalf of other parties
JB Hi-fi may collect information about you on behalf of third parties. For example,
· information collected for Telstra if you wish to enter into a contract with Telstra in a JB Hi-Fi store; or
· information collected for finance providers such as Rentsmart, HSBC Consumer Finance and GE Money Australia.
In these cases the documentation that you sign will set out how the Personal Information that you provide will be used by these third parties and the privacy policies of the third parties will apply. JB Hi-Fi may also receive personal information or documents about you from these third parties where necessary in connection with the provision of goods or services by JB Hi-Fi.
How we deal with your personal information if you apply for a job with us
If you apply for a job with us, you may be required to provide us with certain personal information, including your name, employment and educational background, and other personal information which we may require you to provide, or which you choose to provide us, in relation to your job application.
We will hold, use and disclose that information solely for the purpose of considering your application. In particular, in considering your application, it may be necessary for us to disclose some of that information to third parties to verify the accuracy of that information. In such circumstances, we will disclose only such information as is necessary in the circumstances.
In considering your application, we may also collect personal information about you from any third parties that you nominate as your referees in your application.
Security of your Personal Information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
How to access your Personal Information
Upon your request, JB Hi-Fi will take reasonable steps to let you know, generally, what sort of personal information we hold, for what purposes and how we collect, use and disclose that information.
Upon your request, JB Hi-Fi will provide access to your personal information that we hold (except in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Law). JB Hi-Fi reserves the right to charge you an administration fee of $25 for providing access to your personal information and will, of course, require some proof of your identify before providing information to you.
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that personal information depends to a large extent on the information you provide to us. To help ensure the accuracy of the personal information we hold about you, we ask that you:
· let us know if you become aware of any errors in the personal information that we hold about you; and
· inform us of changes to your personal information, such as changes to your name or address or other contact details,
using the contact details set out at the end of this Statement. In addition:
· if you are a subscriber to our mailing list you can also update your details via the “unsubscribe” option in one of the emails that you receive from us;
· if you subscribe to one of our services such as JB Hi-Fi Now you can also update your details via that service.
Additional information for purchasers of Mobile Phones
When you buy a mobile phone, JB Hi-Fi will ask you to provide proof of identity details such as a Credit Card, Drivers License or Passport and the phone’s unique identification number (IMEI) will be recorded. In the case of prepaid phones which include a sim card and phones sold in conjunction with post-paid phone plans your personal information is collected in accordance with government regulations, as a condition of JB Hi-Fi’s license as a Telstra dealer and for the purpose of provisioning Telstra services and accounts. If you refuse to provide this information when purchasing a product of this type then JB Hi-Fi will not be able to sell it to you.
JB Hi-Fi also collects and retains personal information, such as your name, proof of ID reference number, date of birth, address and Phone IMEI number from the sale of all mobile phone handsets for the purpose of record keeping in accordance with its Consumer Guarantees Compliance Program (warranties regarding acceptable quality and fitness for purpose), including the purpose of efficient retrieval and authentication of records in the event of a warranty claims and product returns, for example, if you have lost your receipt. Details are also recorded in accordance with JB Hi-Fi’s fraud and theft prevention strategies.
In the case of an “Outright” phone purchase, personal information is not transmitted to any telecommunications carrier or government agency.
If you are purchasing an Outright Phone(a phone without a Sim card included and that is not on a “plan”) in a JB Hi-Fi store and do not wish to have JB Hi-Fi collect your personal information, you can advise JB Hi-Fi staff that you would like to purchase the Outright Phone “Anonymously”. Staff will still be required to collect the phone’s unique IMEI number but will not record any personal identity information in JB Hi-Fi’s system and will record the sale as “Anonymous”. Purchasing an outright phone anonymously means that, if you lose your receipt, JB Hi-Fi may not be able retrieve evidence of your proof of purchase for consumer guarantee (warranty) purposes. Please note that you will not be able to purchase an Outright Phone “Anonymously” if you are purchasing online (including for pick-up in store).
JB Hi-Fi does not use any personal information collected during the process described above for any marketing purposes.
The other provisions of this Privacy Statement also apply to the purchase of mobile phones.